Monday

Sandwich Bread

For the past few months I have been making all of our bread products at home....a little of wanting less preservative filled foods, more fresh and to save a little money. Sandwiches have been an issue- I have been trying different recipes from my standard egg bread, to plain old white to wheat. It's not that I want the same flavorless sqaushy texture of storebought....but something soft, easy to slice relatively thin, and taste right with peanut butter! And after all the different recipes....I belive I have found what I want....in my old standard honey oat bread that I have been making for years. All it took was a couple changes and it works great. I'm partial to bread and butter and this is my all time favorite for fresh eating with dinner as well.

Honey Oatmeal Bread

2 cups boiling water
1 cup oats
1/2 cup honey
2 T butter
2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 pkg (or 2 1/4 tsp) yeast
1/2 cup warm water
4-6 cups flour (white, wheat or a mix of both)
1 heaping T vital wheat gluten

Mix boiling water, oats, honey, salt and butter and let sit for 1 hour. Stir in eggs. Soften the yeast in the warm water for a few minutes then add to oat mixture. Add 2 cups of flour and the wheat gluten and stir (or use the dough hook on a mixer). Add the remaining flour 1 cup at a time. I usually use about 5 cups- more makes for a drier loaf. Knead for a few minutes. Cover and rise for 1 hour. Form into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Cover and rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375o. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. thanks for posting this; I've been looking for a recipe like this - for all the reasons you posted above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! Pretty close to what we make here. Its really hard to go back to storebought bread...the really cheap stuff we refer to as glue bread. Thumbs up for baking at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you buy wheat gluten? Remember, I live in Arkansas! We don't have to many shopping options besides walmart!

    ReplyDelete